Creating a New Logo Design
A new logo design is the visual substance of what your business represents. When you look at the Coca-Cola swoosh or the bite in the Apple Corporation logo, these symbols encompass the idea behind these individual companies. However, many companies insist on ignoring the importance of identity design for themselves.
A great company logo design can entice possible customers and is the ultimate "first impression" for your business. A great logo creates loyalty from your customers, brings your business credibility, and upholds your identity within the logo itself.
There are three types of logo designs:
Font-based logos, which consists mainly of "type", logos that literally show what the company does(such as Burger King), and abstract logos. An abstract logo really doesn't associate with a company until the company shows its customers what they are about... then the symbol becomes apparent! Ultimately, your customers should be able to tell what you do just by seeing your logo!
Basic Rules for Creating a New Logo Design
There are some basic methods for creating a logo design...
1. Observe the logos of your competitors. Think about the type of image that they convey, and how you would like your logo to be different from these.
2. Decide on the message that you would like to convey about your business. Does your business have its own personality, and what makes it different from your competition?
3. Your logo design should be clean, and should be easily legible on business cards and other printed materials. Also, consider if the logo looks good in black-and-white so it can be photocopied or faxed.
4. Consider your color choices: Be careful, although a colorful logo may be beautiful to look at, the cost of getting the logo printed may not be cost affective. Two to three color choices should be a strong consideration for the production of your new logo design.
5. There are several logo design sites available on the Internet. The most effective way of choosing a logo company is to find one that suits your needs is to see that company's logo portfolio. These company logo samples should have logo design samples, as well as examples of logo design in various formats. Be sure that the company that you have chosen can create the needed design.
6. Protect your new logo design by applying for a trademark with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office Web site. Once you have trademarked your new design, you may use it anywhere you mention your company name.
Creating a logo isn't always easy. Remember your customers and the type of business that you have, when creating your new logo design!